All positions listed here are full-time positions, unless otherwise indicated. While we are an "at will" employer, all positions require employees to successfully complete a six (6) month introductory period.
We are unable to return phone calls or provide status updates due to the volume of responses. Should your qualifications best meet our needs, you will be contacted within six weeks for interview. If not contacted, we will retain your information for six months in our active files.
POSITION: Maintenance Mechanic
Reports To: Maintenance Supervisor
AHA currently provides maintenance services to 257 Low Rent Public Housing units and 321 Low Income Housing Tax Credit and other Federal, State, and privately funded programs units. AHA also administers 875 Vouchers under the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program.
Essential Job Functions: The mechanic position is a 37.5 hour per week position requiring on-call nights and weekend duty rotations for emergency coverage. Under general supervision, duties include but not limited to performing difficult, skilled work in general maintenance, repair and modification of AHA owned buildings, grounds, and related equipment and appliances.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Must practice safety precautions and be safety-conscious at all times.
- Diagnoses problems and performs needed repairs on various appliances and equipment including ranges, heating systems, air conditioners, and water heaters.
- Installs, repairs, or removes various appliances and equipment such as ranges, window air conditioner units, space heaters, and wall furnaces: removes refrigerators as necessary.
- Cleans furnaces, replaces filters, lights furnaces at the first of the heating season and turns off at the end.
- Repairs or replaces exterior woodwork, vinyl, and aluminum.
- Repairs or replaces windows, window screens, interior and exterior doors, screen doors, and related locks and hardware.
- Repairs or replaces roofs and related components.
- Repairs or replaces cabinets including the installation of new cabinets; installs new counter tops.
- Repairs or replaces plaster or sheetrock wall or ceiling surfaces: constructs walls and partitions.
- Repairs and replaces damaged sub-flooring: replaces damaged vinyl and ceramic tile moldings.
- Performs painting and wood finishing incidental to carpentry work such as priming exterior woodwork, staining and varnishing cabinets, and painting apartments.
- Performs minor electrical repairs such as diagnosing overloads, short circuits, and faulty fixtures; replaces faulty switches, receptacles and covers: repairs or replaces light fixtures and replaces globes; tests and replaces smoke detectors.
- Performs routine plumbing repairs including unstopping fixtures and lines with plunger, auger, cables, and roto-rooter; replaces faucets on equipment; replaces or repairs plumbing fixtures and components; and repairs or replaces exposed waste piping.
- Performs grounds maintenance duties including: mowing grass, trimming hedges, pruning trees, etc.; operates and maintains equipment necessary to perform these tasks.
This job description should not be interpreted as all-inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirements of this job classification. All incumbents may not perform the entire job duties listed, and some incumbents may perform some duties, which are not listed, and incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this description
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. Employment is contingent upon a satisfactory review of an applicant's background check.